• Pons means bridge. It is 2.5cm long.
• Connects Medulla Oblongata with Mid brain
• Has Two surfaces
• Anterior surface convex and is formed of transversely running fibers
• Groove for basilar artery lies in centre
CONNECTION WITH CEREBELLUM
• Connected to cerebellum with middle crebellar peduncle
• Formed of fibers emerging from pontine nuclei.
• Trigeminal nerve emerges from anterior surface
• Emergence marks transition of transverse fibers of Pons to middle cerebellar peduncle.
• Motor root medial and larger sensory root placed laterally
• At junction of PONS and MEDULLA there is emergence of VI ,VII ,VIII nerves
Pons serves as a relay station providing connection between cerebral cortex and cerebellum
• Formed by floor of 4th ventricle
• Contains tracts and nuclei of cranial nerves
• Triangular in shape
• Limited laterally by Superior Cerebellar Peduncle
• Median Sulcus
• Medial Eminence
• Sulcus Limitans
• Facial colliculus
• Substantia Ferrugenia
• Area Vestibuli