Examination by means of direct ophthalmoscope involves the following simple steps:
- Visual acuity. Tell him to fixate on 6/60 line.
- Dim the light
- Distant direct ophthalmoscopy is performed with ‘0’ DS lens
- Anterior segment examination is done with +10 DS lens
- Fundoscopy is performed by adjusting turret according to refractive error of both the examiner and patient.
- Look at:
- Periphery -by asking him to look in superior temporal, inferior temporal, superior nasal and inferior nasal quadrants.
- Fovea by asking him to fixate light.
- Red free filter for vitrous opacities and NFL defect.
- Thank the patient.
Image courtesy of CDC/Amanda Mills